A Room Somewhere

This is a space for me to explore the various changes aspects of my life, as I finish my dissertation, start my career, build a yoga practice, study Buddhism, remain smoke-free and lose weight. All after leaving Los Angeles for Winona, Minnesota.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Vegetarianism

It's common amongst Buddhists and yogis but that is not why I've decided to give it a try. It's because I love animals and hate the idea of an animal being hurt or killed. Especially with the general love of hunting and fishing here in Winona. My father was a hunter, pheasants and quail mostly. He tried to get us to eat the birds he killed, but I cracked a baby tooth on buckshot, which pretty much ended eating them. I reconciled the idea of eating animals with being honest about where the food came from, and never "wearing what I won't eat." I would wear leather but not fur, and I adored the various cats and dogs that came into my life, and I would studiously ignore the fact that while I loved my pets, my eating meat linked me with the systematic abuse and slaughter of creatures just as innocent as my dog.

Then one episode of Queer Eye showed a man brutally ripping apart a live lobster. I watched another man on television making "fresh sushi" by vivisecting a fish pulled right out of the ocean. I began to feel like a hypocrite, loving animals and still eating them, unable to face the truth. I avoided scenes of slaughterhouses on television or in the press,becuase they made me so upset. But I would eat a steak, porkchop, or fried chicken without a thought. I discovered nice, lean buffalo meat, great for the Weight Watchers points, but also helping to create a market for a new animal to be bred and "harvested."

So I'm going to try to give up meat and no longer contribute to the horrible slaughter. Then I can look my sweet smiling corgi dog without being a hypocrite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home